Colleen O'Brien, DVM, CVA
Quarantined? 7 Ways to Stay Sane with the Help of Your Pet.
Updated: Apr 3, 2020
You're stuck home on quarantine and your pets are probably thrilled!
As you practice social distancing, here are some ideas on how to spend your time and even have some fun.
1. Go for more walks. Walking is good exercise for everyone. Make sure all pets are on a leash (and not a retractable one!) and get some fresh air!
2. Learn a new trick. Old dogs can learn new tricks. Start by reinforcing the standard sit, stay, lay down and come. Then progress to shake, roll over, and touch.
3. Work on training. Now is the time to get your pet comfortable with having their nails trimmed, their ears looked into, or increasing their comfort level with getting into the car or crate.
4. Really observe your pet. Do they seem slower to get up than they use to? Does their belly seem a little rounder? Maybe their breath is a bit worse. Place a call to your veterinarian and schedule a check up for when travel restrictions are limited.
5. Set up a separate bank account for your pet. This is a great way to have some emergency savings put away in case something unexpected happens to your pet.
6. Spread the word. Take the time to write a positive review about your favorite veterinary hospital. Most are staying open right now to handle sick pets and are thus putting their own health at risk.
7. Take a cue from your pet. and spend the day snuggled up on the couch relaxing.